Fill in your details and we'll send you our volunteer guide
I (the Volunteer) hereby agree and fully understand that no scientific data or information acquired during my stay while assisting as a field research assistant for Blue Ventures Conservation, Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd and/or any of its affiliates may be published, duplicated in any form (photocopy, copy, electronic, transfer, etc.), rendered public or used for any personal or academic use without the prior written permission of the directors of Blue Ventures Conservation and Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd.
I understand that such data and/or information has been collected for different research and scientific projects run by Blue Ventures Conservation and Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd and associated organisations. I hereby decline any rights towards any of the data and/or information collected during my assistance and stay. I understand that if the data I collect whilst working as a research volunteer on site are judged to be inaccurate or invalid, they will not be used by Blue Ventures.
I have read this form and fully understand its content. By voluntarily agreeing to and making this statement by ticking in the box marked ‘I Agree’, I am giving up all legal rights that I have and waive all rights towards any of the data collected or analysed. I further agree that no oral representations, statements or inducements apart from the foregoing written statement have been made.
This statement must be agreed to by the Volunteer whose details are automatically recorded electronically in Blue Ventures’ (BV) system before arrival at the BV expedition site. The Volunteer indicates his agreement with and full assent to the contents of the statement by ticking the checkbox marked ‘I agree’ in the form that has been sent to them by email. If the Volunteer does not tick the box to indicate his agreement this will prevent his taking part in any BV expedition activity.
I the Volunteer who has been sent this document via email and whose full details are recorded electronically in Blue Ventures’ system hereby agree to abide by the rules and regulations issued by BV, by its research team and by its staff. In particular I confirm that I have read and understood all pre-departure briefing documentation and the pre-departure hand book issued by BV.
1. Please indicate whether paragraph A, B or C below, applies to you, by selecting the appropriate answer, A, B or C in the form that has been sent to you by email. Your response will be recorded automatically in our system.
a. I hereby certify that I have followed a diving course organised by a recognised international diving association(PADI, CMAS, BSAC, etc), and succeeded and achieved both practical and theoretical exams to at least the second scuba diving level(PADI Advanced Diver, BSAC Sports Diver, etc., or equivalent). I hereby acknowledge my entire responsibility in that matter and will not pursue any complaint, nor sue nor pursue any legal settlements against Blue Ventures Conservation and/or Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd and/or its affiliated organisations and their employees, or other agencies known or unknown, and their respective permanent and/or temporary staff members (including and more specifically the Instructor/Divemaster in charge of the diving operations) in the event of any failure on my part in this respect. I confirm that I am fit to dive.
b. I hereby undertake that, before taking part in an expedition organised by BV I will follow a diving course organised by a recognised international diving association (PADI, CMAS, BSAC, etc), and undertake further that before commencing diving activities with BV I will have succeeded in both practical and theoretical exams to at least the second scuba diving level (PADI Advanced Diver, BSAC Sports Diver, etc.). I hereby acknowledge my entire responsibility in that matter and will not pursue any complaint, nor sue nor pursue any legal settlements against Blue Ventures Conservation and/or Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd and/or its affiliated organisations and their employees, or other agencies known or unknown, and their respective permanent and/or temporary staff members (including and more specifically the Instructor/Divemaster in charge of the diving operations) in the event of any failure on my part In this respect. I confirm that I am fit to dive.
c. I hereby confirm that it is my intention to undertake SCUBA training organised by Blue Ventures whilst on site, and I understand that I will be unable to take part in any research diving activities until I have successfully obtained PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification, or equivalent. I confirm that I am fit to dive.
2. I am aware and fully understand that fieldwork, scuba diving, and marine and terrestrial research activities, such as those undertaken by BV staff and research volunteers throughout the course of an expedition, are potentially hazardous and dangerous activities. I am voluntarily participating in these activities with full knowledge of the dangers involved. I understand that BV will for its part ensure that all equipment available for use by volunteers on site will be of a reasonable standard, and that BV will carry out appropriate safety checks in respect of that equipment. Certain BV staff on site will be qualified in rescue techniques, and there will be an evacuation procedure in the event of difficulty or emergency.
3. I authorise Blue Ventures, the research team and associated organisations to use, sell and/or publish any data, photographs, videos or film collected by me during the course of an expedition, as well as any photograph, video or film footage that shows me in whole or part for any purpose. There will not be any further arrangements in relation to this matter, nor any financial payment and/or contribution from my part should the picture (motion or still) be published, used and/or sold for other purposes.
4. I understand that the fee which I have paid for my participation in the expedition includes transport on the organised pickup at the start and the end of the expedition, accommodation at site, all meals at site, and all expedition related activities. I understand that food, drinks and refreshments during organised transits to and from the site, as well as soft drinks, bottled water, alcohol and all other ‘luxury items’ onsite will not be paid for by Blue Ventures. I understand that if I intend to purchase soft drinks, alcohol and/or ‘luxury items’ on site, I will need to have additional money on my person, preferably in local currency, to pay for this.
5. I understand that if, at the start of an expedition, I arrive after the time or date of the scheduled expedition pickup, or I am not able to travel with the pickup, I must arrange and pay for my own transfer to the site. I understand that I will also be responsible for transfer costs if I choose to leave or am asked to leave, the site prior to the scheduled transfer at the end of the expedition.
a. I understand that on the Madagascar expedition, because of the poor condition of the roads between Andavadoaka and Toliara, the transfers organised by Blue Ventures to and from the research site are subject to change depending on local conditions. I understand that at any time of year but particularly during the rainy season road conditions can be extremely poor, and that this may cause the journey to be prolonged. In addition, I understand that in the event of such conditions occurring, the departure of the transfer to the site from Toliara maybe delayed until conditions on the road improve. I understand that Blue Ventures cannot guarantee to get volunteers to Toliara by the scheduled end date of each expedition, and that owing to unpredictable winds and the poor state of the road they may not arrive on the scheduled end date.
b. I understand that on the Belize expedition, transfers to Sarteneja from my arrival airport are not organised for me, and that I will have to organise transport to Sarteneja myself.
c. I understand that on the Timor-Leste expedition, transfers to the project site are by sea and that if conditions prevent travel the expedition schedule will be changed to reflect any delay in travel.
7. I understand that all Blue Ventures activities undertaken at the research site are dependent on weather and other conditions. I also understand that when working in the marine environment, unexpected material damage or failure can occur which can limit the number of days spent in the field. I confirm that I understand these facts and accept that the fee paid will not be refunded in part or in whole as a result of the diving or marine opportunities being reduced. In particular I understand that there remains no guarantee that a specified number of sea trips or dives will take place during the course of any expedition, and that BV cannot be held responsible for health issues, safety issues, climatic conditions and/or unexpected equipment failure preventing training and/or marine research activities.
8. I understand that in the event that BV has to cancel or cut short any expedition for whatever reason, BV will use its best endeavours to help arrange alternative flights, but that BV can accept no liability in respect of costs incurred in changing flights.
9. I understand that whilst on site, I will be required to act in a responsible fashion, helping to work as part of the team wherever possible, as well as respecting local customs. I understand that all camp personnel are ambassadors of BV, and their behaviour and conduct in and around our project sites, our partner hotels, and partner research institutions should reflect this. I understand that as a volunteer taking part in research with BV, all personnel carry out research under the direction and guidance of BV staff. I understand that research staff have full control over the direction of the research programme, and volunteers are expected to play a dedicated role in this programme.
10. I understand that the accommodation provided by Blue Ventures is of a basic nature and is shared, in certain circumstances up to four people to a cabin. Whilst Blue Ventures will always aim to accommodate preferences and personal requests it is sometimes necessary for volunteers to share with members of the opposite sex.
11. I understand that I am responsible for any damage that I may cause to the accommodation utilities and furniture, as well as all other equipment used in the accommodation, in the classroom, equipment stores, field camp, on the boat or within the local community, and will pay for any damage and/or pay for replacing any damaged and/or lost item if the damage is attributable to my actions or inactions, normal wear and tear excepted.
12. I confirm that before commencing my expedition with BV I will be covered by travel insurance valid in the host country covering my health, accident ,liability and possessions. In addition, I confirm that I will be covered by an additional, Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance policy covering my SCUBA diving related activities with Blue Ventures. I confirm that such insurance cover will be used in the event that I require assistance during the course of an expedition or in the case of the cancellation of the trip for personal reasons. I am aware that although BV will not be liable for any medical payments on my behalf it maintains basic first aid facilities on site, and will provide basic first aid and assistance. However, BV cannot guarantee to provide medically qualified assistance on site and therefore I understand that I will be expected to take good care of my health, hygiene and well-being, to minimise the risk of injury and illness. I confirm that whilst on an expedition I will act in a sensible and responsible fashion.
13. I hereby certify that I am not addicted to alcohol or any illegal or prescription drugs. I agree that I will not take any illegal drugs while on site or take any prescription drugs without first informing BV. Illegality in this context means illegal according to UK legislation. Failure to comply with this rule will result in my immediate expulsion from the site. I understand that it is forbidden to drink excessive alcohol on site, or to drink more than 2 units of alcohol on the day or night before diving.
a. I confirm that I have undertaken a full diving medical and that my Blue Ventures medical form (including fitness to Dive) and PADI Medical Statement (participant record) have been signed by a qualified physician. I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that these forms have been signed by my physician and returned to the Blue Ventures offices in the UK at least 4 weeks before my expedition begins. I understand that failure on my part to do this may result in my acceptance on the expedition being revoked, under the terms outlined in the Blue Ventures booking conditions.
b. I understand that Blue Ventures reserves the right to revoke my acceptance on an expedition prior to my departure If my medical condition is such that I am judged unfit to work as an overseas volunteer. This judgment will be made by Blue Ventures and will be final. I understand that in such circumstances, if all my completed medical forms have reached Blue Ventures’ London office at least 4 weeks before the scheduled start date of my expedition, I will be refunded in full the balance of the project, minus the non-refundable deposit of the expedition.
c. I understand that if, less than 4 weeks before the scheduled start date of my expedition, medical conditions result in my acceptance on an expedition being revoked, and/or if, less than 4 weeks before the scheduled start date of my expedition, I have to withdraw from the project for medical reasons, I will not be refunded any of the expedition fee.
d. I confirm that all the information entered in my medical forms is correct and complete, and that I have not omitted any information that may affect my position as a volunteer on a Blue Ventures expedition. I undertake to notify Blue Ventures of any changes that occur to my current health before I commence the expedition or whilst on the expedition.
I understand that a BV expedition should not be treated solely as a diving holiday or diving expedition, and that diving is by no means the only focus of the projects.
By my signature hereof I accept that I will be required to take part in camp life, and become involved in a number of BV research projects in the region, be they terrestrial, marine, socio-economic or fisheries-related. I agree that if I fail to participate, it may result in my expulsion from the BV site.
15. I understand that the project sites are remote, and that under certain circumstances I may not be able to communicate with the outside world during the course of the entire expedition. I confirm that my family and friends have been informed that I may not be in contact with them. I understand that it can take time to adjust to the climate, the remoteness of the site, and the basic living conditions. I understand that the basic conditions of camp life are part of the challenge of participation in a research expedition, and that this can make life difficult at times. I understand that I may be required to undertake physically and mentally demanding work for long hours. I understand that it is not abnormal to lose weight during the course of an expedition, and that this is commonly attributed to the change in diet, the heat and the physical exertion of expedition life. I understand that although BV will endeavour to assist with dietary requirements, there may be limited food selection owing to the remoteness of the site. I understand that in all aspects of camp life, I will regularly face challenges to which I will need to develop innovative solutions.
16. I understand that I must pass the camp swimming test prior to taking part in any activities in and/or on the water. I understand that all diving on site is carried out under BV guidelines, under the instruction of the camp Diving Manager, and as described in the BV Diving Protocol, which will be detailed and explained to me upon my arrival on site by the BV Diving Manager. I understand that in the event that I fail to comply with the said protocol I may be liable to be asked to leave the site immediately. In that event I will not be entitled to any refund from BV for any unexpired portion of the expedition.
17. I understand that I will be required to pass all necessary science validation tests before taking part in any surveying work with Blue Ventures.
18. I hereby certify that I will comply with all site rules, as detailed and explained by the Expedition Manager on my arrival on site, in addition to any rules that may be introduced by staff during the course of my stay on site. I understand that in the event that I fail to comply with said rules I may be liable to be asked to leave the site immediately. In that event I will not be entitled to any refund from BV for any un-expired portion of the expedition, nor for any costs associated with changed travel plans.
19. In the event that I am asked to leave the site for any reason associated with my failure to comply with the rules set out by the programme managers on site, I understand that BV will not be liable for any extra travel costs incurred as a result thereof.
20. In the event of any dispute concerning any aspect of this expedition, such dispute shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales, and should be brought before the courts there.
21. I understand that any activity undertaken under the guidance of the Expedition leader(s), other members of staff and/or BV, or undertaken on my own, will be at my own risk.
22. I have read this statement and fully understand its content. I further agree that no oral representations, statements or inducements a part from the foregoing written statement have been made.
23. In the event that any of the provisions of this statement are held to be invalid under any applicable statute or rule of law, such provisions will be omitted from the statement without affecting the validity or enforceability of any remaining clauses.
The services offered by Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Ltd can only be used by customers who have first read and agreed to these conditions by clicking on the appropriate box labelled “I agree”.
Customers undertake to fulfil their obligations contained in these conditions.
Customers are strongly advised to save and/or print a copy of these conditions for future reference.
1.1 The Volunteer (as defined below) has made a successful application for a place on and is due to participate in, a BVE (as defined below) research expedition.
1.2 The BVE research expedition is to be administered from the UK by BVE and the day-to-day running of the research expedition on site is the responsibility of BVE.
1.3 The Conditions (as defined below) set out the terms on which the Volunteer will undertake the research expedition and the obligations of BVE in relation to the Volunteer.
In the Conditions:
2.1 Additional Fee means a fee over and above the Price which shall be added to the Price to cover SCUBA training that may need to be undertaken on the Expedition under clause 8.2;
Application Form means the application form submitted by the Volunteer (or Customer, as relevant) to BVE when applying for the Expedition; BVE means Blue Ventures (Expeditions) Limited, a company registered in Scotland with registered number SC233112 whose registered office is at Caledonian Exchange, 19A Canning Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8HE;
BVE’s Bank Account means the bank account as notified by BVE to the Customer from time to time;
BVE Diving Protocol means the rules made available for inspection on-Site by BVE (and, in advance, on request to BVE) relating to diving activities carried out during the Expedition;
BVE Guidelines means the BVE Site Rules and the BVE Standards and Protocols made available for inspection on-Site by BVE (and, in advance, on request to BVE) relating to Expedition activities;
BVE Site Rules means the rules that apply to all staff and volunteers whilst working at the expedition site;
BVE Standards and Protocols means the BVE protocols listed in the operations manual including, but not limited to, the BVE Diving Protocol, the cyclone protocol and the boat protocol;
Conditions means the information, terms and conditions contained in this document, the Volunteer Liability Statement and the Volunteer Intellectual Property & Copyright Statement;
Contract has the meaning given to it in clause 3.1;
Customer means either, when the Volunteer is under eighteen years of age on the date of the Contract, the parent of legal guardian of the Volunteer or, where the Volunteer is eighteen years of age or older on the date of the Contract, the Volunteer;
DAN means the Divers Alert Network;
DAN Insurance means valid and comprehensive DAN insurance available at diversalertnetwork.org or daneurope.org or relevant DAN regional office, depending on the nationality of the Volunteer, covering the Volunteer’s SCUBA diving related activities during the Expedition;
Departure means the date on which the Volunteer leaves his country of residence to go on the Expedition;
Deposit means a deposit of £250;
Description of Accommodation means the description of the accommodation at the Site supplied to the Customer by BVE;
Diving Certificate means the certificate proving that the Volunteer has passed both practical and theoretical diving exams to at least the second scuba diving level (PADI Advanced Diver, BSAC Sports Diver, etc., or equivalent);
Diving Manager means the certified SCUBA instructor overseeing all diving related activities during the Expedition;
Expedition means a research expedition in Madagascar, Belize or Timor-Leste;
Expedition Medical Form means the medical form that BVE sends to the Customer to be completed with the Volunteer’s information and signed by a qualified medical doctor;
Expedition Manager means the staff member appointed by BVE and acting as the representative of BVE to lead the Expedition;
Expedition Start Date means the date recorded in BVE’s electronic systems on which the Volunteer will start the Expedition;
Final Payment means the Price minus the Deposit;
Force Majeure Event means any cause preventing BVE from performing any or all of its obligations under the Conditions which arise from or is attributable to either:
(a) acts, events, omissions or accidents beyond the reasonable control of the prevented party including failure of a utility service or transport network, act of God, war, riot, civil
commotion, malicious damage, compliance with any law or governmental order, rule, regulation or direction, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood or storm; or
(b) war, civil war, coup d’état, armed conflict or terrorist attack, nuclear, chemical or biological contamination but nothing else; Illegal means illegal under the laws of England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland or under the law of the country in which the Expedition takes place;
Itinerary means the description of the Expedition supplied to the Volunteer by BVE;
PADI Medical Form means the medical statement form issued by PADI that BVE sends to the Customer which must completed with the Volunteer’s information and signed by a qualified medical doctor;
PADI means the Professional Association of Diving Instructors;
Price means the price previously quoted by BVE to the Customer and confirmed by BVE on receipt of the Deposit;
Return means the return of the Volunteer to his country of residence after the Expedition;
Site means the area operated by BVE on the Expedition research site constituted by BVE eco-cabin accommodation, wash facilities, dive room and classroom;
Transfer Point means a location in the country where the Expedition is based as notified by BVE to the Customer;
Travel Insurance means travel insurance that covers the Volunteer for the Expedition and is valid in the country in which the Expedition is located covering accidents and liability to third parties, illness, loss or damage to possessions, any necessary repatriation costs and cancellation of the Expedition;
Volunteer means the individual who participating in the Expedition pursuant to the Contract and whose name and contact details are recorded in BVE’s electronic systems; and
Volunteer Intellectual Property & Copyright Statement means the statement of that name made by the Volunteer to BVE; and Volunteer Liability Statement means the statement of that name made by the Volunteer to BVE.
1.2 In the Conditions:
(a) a reference to “including” or “includes” does not limit the scope of the meaning of the words preceding it; and
(b) any reference imparting a gender includes the other gender.
3.1 The confirmation by BVE of the Customer’s booking form gives rise to a contract between the Customer and BVE (the Contract).
3.2 The Customer and BVE intend that the terms set out in the Conditions be included in the Contract.
4.1 The Price has been calculated in accordance with recent exchange rates and local costs. Where before the Expedition Start Date there is:
(a) an increase in costs due to any government action including new or increased taxes such as VAT; or
(b) an increase in the price of fuel or staple goods; or
(c) a fluctuation of applicable exchange rates, resulting in increased costs in running or connected with the Expedition (Increased Cost), BVE may require the Customer to pay part of the Increased Cost, in accordance with clauses 4.3 and 4.4.
4.2 If the Increased Cost is less than 10% of the Price then BVE shall bear the Increased Cost.
4.3 If the Increased Cost is 10% or more of the Price but less than 25% of the Price, BVE shall bear the first 10% of costs (BVE’s Contribution) and the Customer shall pay the Increased Cost in excess of BVE’s Contribution within five working days of notification by BVE.
4.4 If the Increased Cost is 25% or more of the Price, BVE shall pay BVE’s Contribution and the Customer shall either pay the Increased Cost in excess of BVE’s Contribution within five working days of notification by BVE or terminate the Contract by notifying BVE in writing within five working days of the notification from BVE (and in such event clause 14 applies).
5.1 The Customer agrees to pay the Price to BVE in consideration for BVE agreeing to carry out its obligations set out in the Conditions.
5.2 Immediately after agreeing to the Conditions the Customer shall pay the Deposit to BVE.
5.3 The Customer shall pay the Final Payment to BVE no later than the date six weeks before the Expedition Start Date or, if later, immediately after agreeing to the Conditions.
5.4 Any payment required to be made by the Customer under the Conditions shall be paid into BVE’s Bank Account by direct transfer or by cheque made payable to BVE and shall only be deemed to have been received once it has been received in cleared funds.
6.1 The Customer shall provide BVE with proof, including policy numbers and emergency contact numbers:
(a) of Travel Insurance, no later than one month before the Expedition Start Date; and
(b) of DAN Insurance from their regional representative, before the Expedition Start Date.
6.2 The Customer agrees that if any event occurs which could reasonably be expected to give rise to a claim against BVE, the Customer must first make a claim in respect of such event (or its effect) under his Travel Insurance or DAN Insurance, as applicable.
7. MEDICAL INFORMATION
7.1 The Customer shall submit an Expedition Medical Form and a PADI Medical Form (the Medical Forms), signed by qualified physicians, to BVE no later than one month after the date of the Conditions or one month before the Expedition Start Date, whichever is sooner.
7.2 The information provided on the Medical Forms must be correct and complete and must include details of all pre-existing medical conditions. If, at any time after completing the Medical Forms and before Departure, the Volunteer’s medical condition should change, the Customer must notify BVE immediately, providing full details of the relevant change. If the Volunteer’s medical condition changes after Departure, the Volunteer must notify BVE immediately, providing full details.
7.3 The Customer gives BVE authority to arrange any necessary medical or surgical treatments and to sign any required consent forms on the Volunteer’s behalf in the case of an emergency. BVE shall not be liable for any medical or surgical treatment arranged or consented to under this clause.
8. DIVING AND SWIMMING REQUIREMENTS
8.1 If the Volunteer has a Diving Certificate or will obtain one before Departure, it must be submitted to BVE before Departure.
8.2 If the Diving Certificate is not submitted in accordance with clause 8.1 or the Volunteer’s diving qualifications are, in the reasonable opinion of BVE, of a lower standard than stated in his Application Form, BVE may charge an Additional Fee for SCUBA training under clause 8.3. The Customer must pay the Additional Fee to BVE before Departure, or where the Volunteer is already on the Expedition, immediately and directly to BVE.
8.3 If the Volunteer does not have a Diving Certificate and will not acquire one before Departure or in circumstances where clause 8.2 applies, the Volunteer shall take part in SCUBA training organised by BVE whilst on the Expedition. The Volunteer may not take part in any diving activities until he has successfully obtained a Diving Certificate.
8.4 The Volunteer must pass the camp swimming test (details of which may be provided on request) before taking part in any diving activities in or on the water.
9. CHANGES TO EXPEDITION
9.1 Due to the nature of the Expedition, the Customer acknowledges that BVE and/or BVE may need to make certain alterations to the Expedition, Itinerary, services, training, meals, accommodation and other arrangements and consents to BVE making such alterations as reasonably required at any time.
9.2 Where any alteration referred to in clause 9.1 significantly alters the content of the Expedition as originally described to the Volunteer:
(a) if the alteration is made prior to Departure, BVE shall notify the Customer as soon as reasonably practicable;
(b) if made after Departure, BVE shall notify the Volunteer as soon as reasonably practicable, and the Customer may terminate the Agreement (and in such event clause 14 applies).
9.3 BVE shall not be obliged to pay any compensation or refund to the Customer as a result of diving or marine opportunities being reduced because of changes to the Expedition made as a result of circumstances outside the control of BVE, including climatic conditions, unexpected equipment failure and/or a Force Majeure Event, and/or made to ensure the health and safety of the Volunteer and/or of any other member of the Expedition.
10. TRANSPORT TO AND FROM THE SITE
10.1 If the Volunteer arrives at the Transfer Point later than required in the Itinerary, the Customer must arrange and pay for his transfer to the Site.
10.2 The Customer is responsible for all transfer and repatriation costs if the Volunteer voluntarily chooses to leave the Expedition, or if BVE or the Customer terminates the Contract before the scheduled transfer on the Expedition End Date but BVE will provide all reasonable assistance in organising such transfer and repatriation.
11. VOLUNTEER’S PARTICIPATION, BEHAVIOUR AND RESPONSIBILITIES
11.1 The Volunteer must:
(a) read all pre-departure briefing documentation and the pre-departure handbook issued by BVE;
(b) comply with all legislation, visas, immigration, customs, and foreign exchange regulations of the countries visited during the Expedition;
(c) abide by all reasonable rules, regulations and instructions issued by BVE, or their research teams and staff during the Expedition;
(d) carry out all diving on Site in accordance with BVE Guidelines, under the instruction of the Diving Manager, and as described in the BVE Diving Protocol;
(e) carry out all research under the direction and guidance of BVE staff, and BVE staff in collaboration the IHSM and other partners shall have control over the direction of the research programme; and
(f) behave responsibly and respectfully at all places during the Expedition including in and around the research site and surrounding area, at BVE’s partner hotels, and with BVE’s partners.
11.2 The Volunteer must not:
(a) drink excessive alcohol on or off Site or, in any event, drink more than two units of alcohol on the day or night before diving;
(b) commit any Illegal act while on the Expedition;
(c) be in possession of any Illegal substances while on the Expedition; or
(d) cause any damage to the accommodation, utilities or furniture on Site or the equipment used in the accommodation, classroom, equipment stores, field camp, on the boat or within the local community.
11.3 BVE may refuse to allow the Volunteer to participate in any activity at any time during an Expedition if, in BVE’s reasonable opinion, the Volunteer’s participation may pose a risk to the safety of others.
11.4 BVE may suspend or expel the Volunteer from the Expedition if the Volunteer carries out Illegal or unlawful acts or conducts himself in a manner, which in BVE’s reasonable opinion, would bring, or has brought, the Expedition into disrepute or persists in conduct, which in BVE’s reasonable opinion, is in substantial breach of the BVE Guidelines or of any clause of the Conditions.
11.5 The Customer shall be liable for any damage to or loss of BVE’s equipment or property, and for any injuries to BVE staff, other volunteers, members of the local community or otherwise, which have been caused by the Volunteer’s actions or omissions.
11.6 The Volunteer must read, agree to and make the Volunteer Liability Statement prior to submitting the booking form and if the Volunteer is under eighteen years of age, as at the date of the Contract, the Customer must ensure that the Volunteer has read, agreed to and made the Volunteer Liability Statement prior to submitting the booking form.
11.7 The Volunteer must read, agree to and make the Volunteer Intellectual Property & Copyright Statement prior to submitting the booking form and if the Volunteer is under eighteen years of age, as at the date of the Contract, the Customer must ensure that the Volunteer has read, agreed to and made the Volunteer Intellectual Property & Copyright Statement prior to submitting the booking form.
12. BVE RESPONSIBILITIES
12.1 In return for payment of the Price, BVE shall, subject to the terms of the Contract, provide or arrange:
(a) transport for the Volunteer to allow him to reach the Site on the Expedition Start Date and on the Expedition Date. Transport will only be arranged on the Expedition Start
Date and End Date as provided by BVE;
(b) accommodation and all meals at the Site for the Volunteer; and
(c) all activities listed in the Itinerary.
12.2 BVE shall not provide or arrange for:
(b) personal equipment;
(c) any visas or other travel documentation;
(e) transport in either direction between the Volunteer’s country of residence and the Transfer Point;
(f) any activities not included in the Itinerary;
(g) any purchases off-Site;
(h) additional food, drinks and refreshments during organised transits to and from the Site;
(i) soft drinks, bottled water, alcohol and any ‘luxury items’ on-Site.
12.3 BVE shall:
(a) ensure that all equipment available for use by the Volunteer on-Site is of a reasonable standard;
(b) carry out appropriate safety checks in respect of that equipment; and
(c) ensure certain BVE staff on-Site are qualified in rescue techniques.
12.4 BVE does not accept responsibility for nor is liable to the Customer for losses arising in connection with:
(a) any activities undertaken by the Volunteer which are unsupervised and outside the scope of the Itinerary or undertaken against the express orders of BVE personnel, regardless of whether they are within the scope of the Itinerary or not;
(b) damage to any personal property, including the Volunteer’s luggage unless due to the negligence of BVE staff whilst acting within the course of their employment;
(c) to the extent that this is permitted by law, death, injury, illness or any other loss or damage caused by physical exertion for which a Volunteer is not prepared, consumption of alcohol, high altitude, lack of or limited access to medical attention in remote locations or the adequacy of medical attention once provided, or the fault of the Volunteer, the actions of someone unconnected with the Expedition, or unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond the control of BVE, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which BVE could not have anticipated or avoided;
(d) any Force Majeure Event; or
(e) the failure by the Volunteer to comply with the Conditions.
13.1 If the Volunteer wishes to make a complaint during the Expedition, he shall advise the Expedition Manager immediately.
13.2 If the Volunteer is not satisfied with the response of the Expedition Manager, he shall notify BVE in writing within 28 days following the Expedition end, including all relevant information.
13.3 Failure to follow the procedure set out in 13.1 and 13.2 may prevent BVE and BVE from being able to resolve any problems and may therefore prejudice any future claim that the Volunteer may make against BVE.
Termination by BVE with refund
14.1 BVE may terminate the Contract before Departure for any reason (including because there are insufficient people taking part in the Expedition) by giving notice in writing to the Customer.
14.2 If BVE terminates the Contract under clause 14.1, BVE shall refund all moneys paid by the Customer to BVE.
14.3 BVE will not be required to pay the Customer any other losses, costs or expenses (including any consequential or indirect losses) arising as a result of termination by either party.
Termination by BVE without refund
14.4 BVE may terminate the Contract and, subject to clause 14.1, shall not be obliged to refund any moneys already paid by the Volunteer to BVE if:
(a) the Customer does not pay the Increased Cost in accordance with clause 4.3;
(b) the Customer does not pay the Final Payment in accordance with clause 5.2;
(c) the Customer does not comply with the insurance provisions in accordance with clause 6.1;
(d) the Customer does not comply with clauses 7.1 or 7.2 in relation to the provision of medical information;
(e) upon BVE’s receipt of the Medical Forms or subsequent information about the Volunteer’s medical condition, it is the reasonable opinion of BVE that the Volunteer is not medically fit to take part in the Expedition or activities connected with the Expedition;
(f) after the start of the Expedition, it is the reasonable opinion of BVE that the Volunteer is not sufficiently fit, healthy or able to complete an Expedition without affecting its safety, or the enjoyment of fellow volunteers or staff members (in which case the Expedition Manager may ask the Volunteer to leave the Expedition);
(g) the Customer does not pay the Additional Fee for SCUBA training in accordance with clause
(h) in BVE’s reasonable opinion, the Volunteer’s behaviour is detrimental to the aims of the Expedition or is jeopardising the safety and welfare of other volunteers, BVE staff or the local community or any person’s property;
(i) the Volunteer has been expelled from the expedition under clause 11.4; or
(j) due to an unresolved complaint, the Volunteer chooses to leave the Expedition before its completion.
Termination by Volunteer
14.5 The Customer may terminate the Contract:
(a) under clause 4.4, if the Increased Cost is 25% or more of the Price, in which case BVE shall refund all moneys paid by the Volunteer to BVE;
(b) under clause 9.2, if the content of the Expedition as originally described to the Customer has changed substantially, in which case BVE shall refund the Price minus a pro-rata amount for any time already spent on the Expedition, unless BVE has procured an alternative expedition which is substantially the same as the Expedition as originally described to the Customer, in which case no refund shall be due or payable;
(c) at any time and for any reason before the Final Payment date, by giving notice to BVE, in which case BVE shall not be obliged to refund the deposit;
(d) at any time and for any reason after the Final Payment date but before Departure, by giving notice to BVE, in which case BVE shall refund the Price minus any costs already incurred by BVE. The Customer acknowledges that because of the nature of the work carried on by BVE, the refund which BVE will be able to offer will be small;
(e) at any time and for any reason after Departure, by giving notice to the Expedition Manager as soon as is reasonably possible, in which case BVE shall not be required to refund any moneys paid by the Customer to BVE.
14.6 BVE shall not be required to pay the Customer for any other losses, costs or expenses (including any consequential or indirect losses) arising as a result of termination by either party.
15. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
15.1 The data and/or information collected during the Expedition is for research and scientific projects run by BVE. The Customer shall have no intellectual property rights in any of the data and/or information collected during the Expedition and will not publish, duplicate in any form (including by photocopy, copy or electronic transfer), render public or use for any personal or academic use any data/information collected, without the prior written permission of the directors of BVE.
15.2 The Customer authorises BVE to use, sell and/or publish any data, photographs, videos or film collected by the Volunteer during the Expedition, including any photographs, video or film footage that shows the Volunteer in whole or part for any purpose without any form of financial payment.
16. DATA PROTECTION
16.1 The Customer and the Volunteer consent to BVE processing data relating to them for legal, administrative and management purposes and in particular to the processing of any “sensitive personal data” (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998) relating to the Volunteer including, as appropriate:
(a) information about the Volunteer’s physical health or condition in order to monitor the Volunteer’s fitness for the Expedition; and
(b) information about the Volunteer’s specials dietary (or other) requirements (if any).
16.2 BVE may make such information available to any affiliate, those who provide services to BVE and/or its affiliates, regulatory authorities and/or governmental or quasi-governmental organisations.
16.3 The Customer and the Volunteer consent to the transfer of such information outside the European Economic Area including where the country or territory in question does not maintain adequate data protection standards.
16.4 Unless indicated to the contrary by the Customer or the Volunteer in writing, BVE may contact the Customer and/or the Volunteer, or disclose their personal data to selected third parties so that they may contact the Customer and/or the Volunteer with information about goods and services that BE feels may be of interest to the Customer and/or the Volunteer.
The contact, address and phone numbers for the purposes of submission of notices, permissions, documents and other communications under or in connection with the Contract are:
a) in the case of BVE as follows:
Address: Level 2 Annex, Omnibus Business Centre, 39-41 North Road, London, N79DP
Telephone: 0044 (0)20 7697 8598
Attention: Richard Nimmo
b) in the case of the Customer, as recorded in BVE’s electronic systems.
18.1 The Customer warrants that all information submitted by him to BVE is true, complete and accurate in all respects.
18.2 The Customer agrees that any activity the he, or the Volunteer, as relevant, undertakes in connection with the Expedition, whether on his own or under the guidance of any member of the BVE staff, is undertaken at his, or the Volunteer’s, as relevant, own risk.
18.3 The Customer acknowledges receipt of the Pre-Departure Handbook and confirms that the Volunteer will read and become familiar with its contents before the Expedition Start date.
18.4 The parties agree that any and all special requirements of the Volunteer which have been communicated in writing to BVE, discussed and accepted by BVE before entering into the Contract. BVE will use its reasonable endeavours to accommodate these special requirements.
18.5 In agreeing to the Conditions, the Customer warrants that the Volunteer has read and fully agrees to them and that he has not relied on any oral representations, statements or inducements apart from those contained in the Conditions.
18.6 BVE intends to rely upon the written terms set out in the Conditions. If the Customer requires any changes, he must request that these are put in writing.
18.7 None of the rights or obligations under the Contract may be assigned or transferred without the prior written consent of the other party.
18.8 In the event that any of the provisions of the Conditions is held to be invalid under any applicable statute or rule of law, such provisions will be omitted from the Conditions without affecting the validity or enforceability of any remaining clauses.
18.9 The Customer confirms that he has the authority to enter into the Contract and that the individual who submits the booking form is duly authorised on behalf of the Customer to do so.
18.10 The Contract is governed and construed in accordance with English Law and each party agrees to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in the event of any dispute concerning any aspect of the Expedition.
18.11 A person who is not party to the Contract may not enforce any of its terms under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
It is your responsibility to take out appropriate travel insurance for the trip you are undertaking, however we offer the service to take a look at the insurance policy document and raise any areas where we are unsure whether the insurance covers you appropriately. Therefore, please upload a copy of your insurance policy document (needs to entail your personal details, policy number, emergency contact numbers of the insurer and what you are covered for) below.
In order to assess which qualifications you may require whilst on expedition, we need to understand your most advanced dive level. We will continue your training (if any) under PADI, however acknowledge prior certifications from all other dive bodies. Please complete all fields below and upload a copy of your most advanced dive certification.
For volunteers from the UK and Europe, visit www.daneurope.org
For volunteers from the USA, visit www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance
For volunteers from Australia, New Zealand or most countries in Asia, visit www.danap.org
For volunteers from countries in Africa, visit www.dansa.org
We offer the service to look over your policy document and will question any areas we are unsure of whether they offer appropriate coverage, so please upload your DAN insurance policy document below.
Please download a copy of it here.
Please make sure to bring a copy of the Blue Ventures and PADI medical form to your doctor’s appointment. The medical clearance process can take up to 4 weeks, so please ensure to submit both forms timely. Any late submissions or provision of additional information may result in you not being able to partake in the expedition.
Please download a copy of it here.
Please make sure to bring a copy of the Blue Ventures and PADI medical form to your doctor’s appointment. The medical clearance process can take up to 4 weeks, so please ensure to submit both forms timely. Any late submissions or provision of additional information may result in you not being able to partake in the expedition.
Furthermore, we keep your passport number at hand in case of an emergency where we may have to identify you. Please enter your passport number below.
[gravityview id=”365″ lightbox=”0″ user_edit=”1″]